Sunday, June 29, 2014

That Boy...


I saw a boy begging for money by the roadside. His dirty baggy singlets and torn shorts are pain in the eyes, protruding the feelings of disgust by public. His hair was a mess and it looked like it hasn't been touched by waters for weeks. He looked pale and hungry. Perhaps begging is not that luxurious for him to find something to eat. Everything you read or watched in Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist is right there within that kid. Street orphans begging for money, involved in outlaw juvenile pickpocket and stealing food for a living are what pictured in the story. Everything looks solidly similar. But the difference is the story was in 1800's, but today is 2014. There is not much cases of poverty here in our country. Even if there are, they won't reach the extent of begging.

I put my coffee aside. And after a while peering on the boy outside, I took my newspaper and began to read the headline.

LET'S STOP HUMAN TRAFFICKING 

A campaign made by the government to promote disagreement towards human trafficking is currently a hot plate. They put a lot of banners, posters and advertisements all over the country to show that they are against this unlawful act. Politicians do numerous interviews, television broadcasts cover special programs for the talk, and even businessmen carve the 'Stop Human Trafficking' logo on their products. Things are being well taken care of, says them. And to make the society feels that they are protected by these so-called mankind guardians, the police would make an ambush to the places they said are the lair of the putrid business, which I found quite funny because why would make such broadcasts now and not 5 or 10 years ago as this problem is not new to the citizens of the world at all. 

Human trafficking has been a complete disaster, and a problem hardly to be ceased even after years of trying. And it's not new in our country. But why only now, they take the matter seriously? 

I flipped through the pages. And one small portion of the paper caught my attention. 

MISSING CHILD
Name : Josh Priestley
Age : 10
Height : 160cm
Description :
-Caucasian
- Green Hazel Eyes
-Love to eat chocolates
-Has birthmark on his left wrist
Last seen on 11th February 2014

If found, kindly please contact this number, 0197776666. 6000 American Dollars will be given to those who found him. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. Thank you.


A small photo of the boy is enclosed there in the searching advertisement. The boy looked happy, his broad smile enlightened from ear to ear, wearing a green stripes t-shirt and long black pants. It's sad to see nowadays child kidnap has been a major crime and one core source of contributor towards the global phenomenon of human trafficking. Children are weak and helpless, and criminals always take them for granted to do their dirty jobs. Sometimes pickpockets, sometimes beggars, if not maybe cheap workers or even sex slaves. "What has become to our society today?", I asked myself. Looking at the photo, I wondered what happened to this poor little boy.

I put the newspaper down after scavenging through some sports news. Seems like Portugal will face Germany for the World Cup 2014 final match after both teams won in their semis. Portugal defeated Spain 2-0 with style and Germany won 3-2 in the breathtaking historical match against Brazil. Way to go for both teams. Me? I don't like soccer that much but I know how to play it. Not like some crazy fans of the game but don't even know how to kick the ball. And they are merely supporting and fighting among them when their team loses the match. Increasing cases of hooligans are mostly contributed by these shameful fans. *sigh*

I sipped a bit of my coffee on the table. And looked the hectic town through the transparent glass of the cafe.

The whole world is in hustle and bustle. Circling around one figure I keep my view close with from the beginning of time I came here. The figure that has been ignored by the people who are too busy to even care. The figure that has been sitting there, observing the cars on the driveway and people in suits on the walkway. The figure of one small boy with his empty begging can.

It's like the world revolved around him. But no one seems to notice his existence.

No one...






No one...






No one...


"Mr. Priestley, sorry to keep you waiting. Here's your pancake." a waitress came and put a plate of strawberry pancake on my table.

"It's okay.", I said with a desperate smile, in attempt to be polite.

And I looked back to observe the boy. But no one is there. He was vanished into thin air in the crowds.

And then I realised something, "Where's my newspaper?"

And since when I have birthmark on my left wrist.




Everything went blank. Suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder. I opened my eyes to a blinding light. Sunlight. And my ears ached hearing deafening sounds. Sounds of a busy street.

"Here's a penny, boy. Have some breads to fill that stomach of yours."




No comments: